Month: December 2015

Pushing People Away

Driving up the Interstate today, I was thinking about how often people (friends, students, co-workers, neighbors) confide their problems to me. I find that exhausting, but I am not sure why. I don’t know if I feel obligated to solve their problems, or if it just makes me sad that I don’t really feel like I can truly confide in anyone what my issues are, so I have noticed I have started pushing people away. I haven’t really thought about it until now, but it seems that I am pushing people away instead of dealing with listening to their problems. I have had one friend since college. Her husband cannot keep a job, and none of her four kids has really turned out like she had hoped. Her life has involved a lot of drama. For years, we talked a lot, but in the last four years, I have found myself avoiding her. I couldn’t explain it to myself until recently. I think I feel like every time I talk to her, it’s about drama. I don’t know why I find her drama so exhausting, but I do. I feel like the drama in my head is too much, and dealing with anyone else’s drama is more than I can handle.